[extropy-chat] A crushing defense of objective ethics. Universal Volition and 'Ought' from 'is'.

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Fri May 6 10:00:09 UTC 2005

I would wish to live in a universe which terminates in an omega point,
and can see how you could perhaps derive correct moral behaviours
assuming an omega point scenario.
But unfortunately wishing something does not make it actual, and as
Eugen says available scientific evidence points against Tipler.
Of course this may change with new experiments and observations.
But this is precisely one of the points that I am trying to make.
Morality is *IMPORTANT* to us human beings, so we should really base
it on something solid that is not invalidated when experiment shows
that the mass of the hchsgahcgion is 5% higher that previous
estimates.
So, I join moral relativists in trying to base morality on social
consensus achieved through a painful and erratic trial and error
process. This does not have the pristine simplicity and beauty of
2=2=4, but is the best we can do.