[extropy-chat] Re: moral relativism

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sun May 8 16:04:56 UTC 2005

Yes, you are right that almost whatever we do affects someone else in
some way. Let's see some extremes:
A) Killing someone has a very strong negative impact on the target, so
it is not a moral thing to do (barring exceptional circumstances of
course).
Z) Choosing to wear grey instead of brown may be unpleasant to those
who do not like brown, but I think everyone will agree that wearing
grey instead of brown is not morally wrong.
An interesting middle ground is personal choices that, even if they do
not damage anyone, can offend those with specific worldview strongly
against that particular choice. Gay marriage is an example. No harm is
done to anyone is two adults of the same sex want to marry, yet the
very idea outrage some people.
But I think we fall in Z also in this case. As long as nobody forces
you to adopt a specific lifestyle, you should be tolerant because it
is not your business.
G.