[extropy-chat] The state of ART in Italy

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed May 11 18:21:14 UTC 2005

Yes, but there are more links to "ART" as a discipline.  (I think the
scientist who coined this was a follower of Snow.)

"Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) is the term coined to describe the
techniques used to assist conception. These methods have been developed in
recent decades and offer a treatment alternative for couples unable to
conceive through natural means. The science has progressed rapidly in ways
that humankind recently could only imagine. Assisted Reproductive
Technologies which fall under the category of ART include In-Vitro
Fertilization (IVF), Embryo Transfer (ET), Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer
(GIFT), Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT), Intracytoplasmic Sperm
Injection (ICSI), and Selective Assisted Hatching (SAH). Nearly half a
century ago it was said that the fertilization of an egg by a sperm cell is
one of the greatest wonders of nature. . . as a spectacle, it can be
compared only with the eclipse of the sun or an eruption of a
volcano.'  http://www.ifwh.org/htm2/fertility.asp

At 10:56 AM 5/11/2005, you wrote:
>assisted (or assistive) reproductive technology - ART
>
>I thought this was the standard *English* acronym in the
>medical field.
>

>Amara

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc
President, Extropy Institute http://www.extropy.org
Founder, Transhumanist Arts & Culture http://www.transhumanist.biz

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Toffler
If Aristotle were alive today he'd have a talk show. Leary