[extropy-chat] Moral Relativism--Theory and Practice

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 11 21:52:00 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, John-C-Wright at sff.net wrote:
> Kind sirs and gracious ladies, during this interesting debate on Moral
> Relativism, one main concern raised, by more than one writer on this list, has
> been whether or Christians pose a mortal threat to your lives and freedoms. As
> if we are all slavering gollum-like over our Bibles aching for the days to
> return when we would burn Giordano Bruno again.

Well, it sounds as though you personally are not seeking the end times
and the destruction of the unbelievers, but many evangelicals are.

Take your Sudan example. Do you realise what happened when the rich
western organisations arrived in Sudan and started buying slaves so
that they could free them?
Firstly, the price of slaves shot up, making the slave traders rich men.
Secondly, there was a huge upsurge in slave hunting throughout
sub-Saharan Africa to provide slaves to sell to the rich westerners.
See:
<http://globalpolitician.com/articledes.asp?ID=569&cid=10&sid=0>

There are many non-Xian charitable organisations. Red Cross for one,
Red Crescent for another. Or Oxfam, Human Rights Watch, Medecins Sans
Frontieres, or Amnesty, and so on.

Remember the US has a born-again president who is fighting a glorious
crusade which is killing thousands.

The John Jay study of priest sex abuse of minors in the United States
documented that there were more than 10,000 credible allegations
against more than 4,000 priests between 1950 and 2002.

Do some Google searching and you will find lots more misbehaving
Xians. Quoting good acts versus all the bad acts of Xians is a losing
battle.

BillK