[extropy-chat] A Chilling Thought.

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 00:42:14 UTC 2005

--- Rik van Riel <riel at surriel.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005, The Avantguardian wrote:
>
> > What if the rich are just biding their time knowing that the
> technology
> > is nigh upon us and try to illegalize it SPECIFICALLY so they can
> get
> > access to it while the proletariat can't? Like Cuban cigars.
>
> I'd say that is very unlikely.  After all, the rich like
> keeping money (otherwise they wouldn't be rich), so they
> have no interest in these new technologies not becoming
> commodities that are safe and easily available to them.

You aren't seeing the point: just because technology isn't available to
US doesn't mean it won't be available to THEM. Much like machine guns,
most people think they are banned, while in reality production/supply
is limited, prices have escalated out of reach of most people, and
those who gain the special permission of govt can enjoy the privilege.

Given the propensity of Chinese, for example, to kill off daughters, or
selectively abort based on gender of the fetus (to describe it more
euphemistically for the politically correct here), the PTB clearly feel
that most of the human race cannot responsibly handle advanced
reproductive and longevity technologies.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

Yahoo! Mail