[extropy-chat] Proposal: was- A Chilling Thought.

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 16:03:51 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Say something
> > sensible and people
> > will see it as something sensible. Don't treat
> > transhumanists as the
> > group of people you want to pursuade treat people
> > that vote, your
> > friends, your family, your workmates, whoever you
> > meet and talk
> > with as the people you want to pursuade.
>
> I do Brett. My friends and family all understand me
> and are all very supportive. Plus California (the
> state in which I live) pretty handily passed
> Proposition 71 that raised billions of dollars for
> stem cell research. My university is setting up a
> whole new facility specifically for their study. So
> essentially everybody within earshot is already
> converted. What I need to do is be able reach the
> hearts and minds of those that live in the red states.

How is it that a state that was billions in the red from immigration,
ballooning health care, and defaulted on billions in socialized energy
bills not too long ago, has the temerity to blow billions on socialized
research?

>      I don't want to pass judgement on them or try to
> change their politics. They can have their guns, their
> death penalties, even their wars if they want them.
> All I want them to know is that they can use
> therapeutic cloning to enrich their golden years
> without sacrificing their moral values. They can add
> many many fruitful years to their lives without
> harming another human being or offending God (assuming
> that is what they fear). Why would we have discovered
> this technology if it wasn't our destiny to use it?

I think there are a lot of red staters who are with you on that. What
they don't want is their tax dollars spent on particular types of
research that involve acts that they consider murder. There is plenty
of private research money available. This is morally no different from
the right of anti-war or pacifist types to oppose their taxes paying
for bombs and wars which they derive no benefit from. Until we get
taxpayer directed budget funding, we're stuck with everybody's money
being comingled, and this leaves everyone with an equal right to see
that government spending programs they disapprove of being killed outright.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com