[extropy-chat] The Language of Euphamism versus Life of my Son

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu May 19 04:51:58 UTC 2005

At 02:24 PM 5/18/2005 -0500, John-C-Wright at sff.net wrote:

>even if one thought the unborn is not
>alive at the moment, abortion deprives the infant of whatever life it
>possesses,
>the potential life it would have otherwise had.
>...Even those who use the awkward terminology of saying the
>unborn infant is not "alive at the moment" would have to admit the infant
>has a
>legal interest in the life into which it will come into possession

Only an imbecile would make the mistake of claiming that a foetus (or a
germinal cell, for that matter) is not alive. The salient claim, repeatedly
presented on this list, is that human blastocysts, embryos and foetuses,
while perfectly obviously alive and human, are not *persons*. There is no
justified claim on life until the foetus has passed through a sufficient
number of developmental stages that it can sustain its life, and the
beginnings of its personhood, outside the womb.

It's understandable, then, that Brett would find himself goaded by this
kind of preposterous misrepresentation to comment "But if you are going to
try and call everything from a single fertilized egg to a nine month old
fetus a child AND pretend that you are using non perjorative language then
I am inclined to want to tar and [feather] you and run you out of town for
the scoundrel that you are."

>Despite your code, despite whatever sick thrill
>you loyal partisans of death get out of promoting the death of babies as a way
>of life

This comment was helpful, a real clincher.

I don't think I've ever seen any writer self-destruct so comprehensively by
abusing readers who, by and large, championed his work with great
enthusiasm. (See the favorable archived discussions of John Wright's GOLDEN
trilogy.) Well, Truman Capote managed it, but he was abusing socialites
while wanting to hang out with them.

Damien Broderick