[extropy-chat] Book: Natasha Vita-More Featured in Robots

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri May 20 12:25:43 UTC 2005

[]

This excellent, highly-researched, and visual book covers the era of
robots.  Not only that, it covers the future of the human and how robotics
will become more widely integrated into our bodies.  I was delighted to be
given 4 full pages of an interview with pictures Primo Posthuman.  Not only
that, the quality of this book is such that it is being used as required
reading in Europe and will help to bring transhumanism into university studies.

"To exemplify the human-robots future, Robots takes a look at "The Robots
of the Future," the last chapter of this 500+ page book.  The works of
Frederic Kaplan - Sony Labs in Paris, Dr. Haipeng Xie - l'universite de
Guelp, Natasha Vita-More - President of Extropy Institute, Dr. Hod Lipson
-l'universite de Brandeis, and Prof.. Kevin Warwick - University of
Reading, UK.

Robots in one form or another have engaged the popular imagination for
centuries. Now, on the cusp of the 21st century, they are poised to
saturate every aspect of our culture, from medicine, science, and industry
to artworks, toys, and household appliances. Whether playing prominent
roles in movies like I, Robot or helping mankind explore the surface of
Mars, robots seem to be taking over the world.

Robots is the first visual survey to focus on this increasingly important,
always newsworthy scientific development and its effects on society.
Covering automatons, androids, and all manner of artificial intelligence,
both fictional and real, this massive, comprehensive volume describes the
robot's fascinating history and speculates on its probable future.
Interviews with scientists, surgeons, manufacturers, science fiction
writers, artists, toy creators, and a host of other experts bring
tremendous insight to the subject, and the copious illustrations provide
visual examples of robots in every environment imaginable. As entertaining
as it is informative, this one-of-a-kind book is an indispensable guide to
the rapidly approaching Robot Age."

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc
President, Extropy Institute http://www.extropy.org
Founder, Transhumanist Arts & Culture http://www.transhumanist.biz

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Toffler
If Aristotle were alive today he'd have a talk show. Leary