[extropy-chat] Stem cell breakthrough claims

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun May 22 02:32:20 UTC 2005

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Gee I hope you do do that essay you said you were
> going
> to do, so I can read it. And so I don't feel that I
> wasted my
> time encouraging you.

I am working on it as we speak. I have several pages
written already. It is challenging to make the
technical details accessible to the "average" person.
You didn't waste your time, although I am perplexed
that an Aussie would be so supportive of my efforts to
change a US policy. I am unaware of what Australia's
policy on cloning and stem cells is. Do tell. :)

> If you have some knowledge of biotech as a result of
> education
> please don't waste it, *use it*, use it to help make
> the case for
> therapeutic cloning and embryonic stem cell
> research.

It is my nature to use what I am given to solve the
problems at hand.

> I know you are more than just a person with biotech
> knowledge
> but your biotech knowledge is more likely to be
> useful as a
> *basis of persuasion* than your understandably
> strong emotional
> feelings.

I actually have been using this list as an "emotional
sink" to get out my strong feelings on the matter so
that I could calmly write my essay in a friendlier
tone.

> Do you know where to find sources for the fact that
> something
> like 1 out of 4 or 1 out of 5 fertilized eggs don't
> go on to
> become babies?   I can give you some sources if you
> don't, but I'd
> prefer that you look for yourself first. These sort
> of facts can help
> put the issues into biological perspective. These
> sort of facts can
> be shown to people as facts rather than as mere
> opinions.

I am avoiding citing too many sources. I don't want to
give the impression I am writing some ivory tower
academic paper else only academians will read it. I
wan't this to be more personal, more from the heart.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson