[extropy-chat] Stem cell breakthrough claims

Henrik Öhrström henrik.ohrstrom at gmail.com
Sun May 22 18:54:41 UTC 2005

> (*) The futility of trying to live in this country has become
> too discouraging and I might give up anyway. My fiftieth-something
> visit to the Polizia  to try to get my permit-of-stay, yielded, as
> usual, nothing. To the Italian government, I'm  'just off the boat'.
> Certainly some better nights of sleep will help me make a
> rational decision, but if you have suggestions, ideas, offers,
> I'm all ears. [To your question : why doesn't my work help me
> with this political stuff, the answer is: they cannot. I'm the
> first extracommunitari scientist my department has who has
> stayed longer than one year, and they have no experience. Not
> even the Italian Space  Agency has anyone who can help. It is
> rare  for a  scientist  to immigrate _into_ Italy, you see.]

> Amara Graps, PhD        www.amara.com
> INAF- Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario, CNR - ARTOV,
> Via del Fosso del Cavaliere, 100, I-00133 Roma, ITALIA
> "We came whirling out of Nothingness scattering stars like dust."
> --Rumi

According to one of my friends who are half Italian the best course of
action is friendship corruption, no one will go out of their way to help you
at the departments if they do not know you.
Find someone who might be the right person or at least know someone, then
offer that person/s a lunch or dinner, talk about the weather, find anything
that you have in common and be a gentile and likeable acquaintance.
Send some flowers or a box of chocolate.
In short make sure that you are not just a face in the crowd, be someone for
them and all things will become much easier.
And no, you don't have to know them well before attempting this, start with
any one you have meet more than once and work your way up, once anyone makes
a personal recommendation things will become easier.
If a byrocratical problem is rare enough, odds are that no one ever will
formulate any rules since the problem either gives up and leaves or resort
to the friendly method.
(This method works everywhere, even in otherwise corruption profe places
like Sweden.)

/Henrik Öhrström