[extropy-chat] Bioethics Essay- Revised

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon May 23 22:32:58 UTC 2005

Another point:

< Therefore we can clearly see that that unless
one is to willing attribute the ability of Immaculate
Conception to human scientists, then cloned embryos
cannot possibly be people. If they are not people, why
give them rights? >

Stuart thus appears to declare (via an unnecessary reductio few Xians are
likely to take seriously anyway) that any cloned babies who develop from
such embryos will be non-people without rights. I don't think tomorrow's
delayed-twin humans will be very grateful for this argument.

This is quite different from arguing that blastocysts, embryos and
insufficiently developed fetuses are not yet *persons*, of course.

Damien Broderick