[extropy-chat] Original Sin was Bioethics Essay

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue May 24 11:42:38 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

>--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
>

>>On May 23, 2005, at 7:03 PM, Dirk Bruere wrote:
>>

>>>Samantha Atkins wrote:
>>>

>>It is not holy writ
>>or directly

>>>Of course it is.
>>>We allegedly got kicked out of Eden for doing just
>>>

>>that and now you
>>

>>>want to compound the sin...
>>>

>Actually it WAS holy writ that knowledge was the
>Original Sin that got us kicked out of Eden. BUT the
>whole point of the xtian doctrine, as opposed to the
>ancient Judean tradition, was that the sacrifice of
>Jesus on the cross erased all our sins including the
>original one. Thus to a xtian, knowledge is no longer
>a sin. Did they even read their own book?

Xians believe a number of things and what you wrote above is only
conditionally true.
The various conditions vary from being a member of the RC Church with
all its procedures to specifically accepting the offer by being 'Born
Again'. As for knowledge no longer being a sin, that's something that
does not follow from your assumption, any more than a robber being
pardoned makes robbery acceptable.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-