[extropy-chat] Original Sin was Bioethics Essay

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue May 24 18:49:00 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

>--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
> As for knowledge no longer being a sin,
>

>>that's something that
>>does not follow from your assumption, any more than
>>a robber being
>>pardoned makes robbery acceptable.
>>

>The knowledge itself was not the sin, eating the
>forbidden fruit to gain the knowledge was the sin. So
>we are forgiven for eating the fruit and the knowledge
>is now ours to do with as we please. So I guess using
>your robber example, we got pardoned THUS we get to
>keep the goods we stole. That is my interpretation.

Actually, it was the knowledge of good and evil.
Genesis 2:9 /
Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is
pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the
midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evi/l.

However, let's also not forget that what we were successfully denied in
Xian theology was access to the Tree of Life.
It's that one that will cause a problem if you cross theological swords
with Xians.

Genesis 3:22

/Then the LORD God said, 'Behold, the man has become like one of Us,
knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take
also from the tree of life, and eat, and live
forever'/

Genesis 3:23

/therefore the LORD God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken./

Genesis 3:24

/So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He
stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every
direction to guard the way to the tree of
life.

/--
Dirk

The Consensus:-