[extropy-chat] Pearson: Conventional telecoms is obsolete

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed May 25 18:12:02 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
> spike wrote:
> >On Behalf Of Giu1i0 Pri5c0
> >
> >...Eventually, before 2025, people would be able to feel as if they
> are in
> >someone's office, feel their handshake or feel their hug, from a
> distance...
> >
> >If they could work that out, you *know* what it
> >would lead to.  It would be *wildly* popular,
> >and far safer than the way we do it today.
>
> The name given to the tech in the early 90s was 'teledildonics'

And it is already in use today, although limited to part of the small
fraction of humanity comfortable enough with tech that doing it this
way does not ruin the intimacy.  (A fraction which most or all of us
probably comfortably fit into, but which remains a minority
nonetheless.)

If you want more information, I encourage you to dig it up yourselves -
although one starting point, expressly written for the general public
(at least the portion that can read about it without going into bouts
of psychosomatic illness) would be the "Sex Drive" columns at
http://www.wired.com/