[extropy-chat] Pearson: Conventional telecoms is obsolete

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 00:08:29 UTC 2005

--- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:
> Mike Lorrey wrote:
> > Having endured some 6 months of terrible service from multiple VoIP
> > telephone companies (Vonage and Packet8), I have serious doubts
> about
> > the telecoms dying off any time soon. VoIP sucks big wads, to put
> it
> > simply.
>
> Correlation is not causation.
>
> Put simply, the VoIP companies you mention are VoIP service
> companies, not networking companies.  The problem isn't VoIP,
> it is a poorly built
> network (some combination of yours and theirs).  You bought a beater
> Yugo and declared that all automobiles are unreliable, uncomfortable,
> and underpowered based on your experience.

On the contrary, Packet8 is rated as the best VoIP provider. It is not
just poor quality signal, it is losing all service completely at least
one day a week for at least half the working day. They are not building
sufficient redundancy into anything. The VoIP business model is
dependent upon the consumers expectations having already been eroded
badly by poor quality products from Microsoft and their cellphone
providers.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com