[extropy-chat] Transhumanism: menace or threat?

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Sat May 28 19:28:25 UTC 2005

The case to date is that when leaders of religeon or politics view
something as undesireable they make an edict,
law or regulation which the masses dutifully obey.

So indeed a worldview by leaders to not change the human condition, but
to let the majority of the population
die off of natural causes...and ageing  might indeed forstall whole
populations from taking the
risks/unknowns that go with life-extension technology.

There of course will be some who disobey and use the technology.
As we have seen with Stem Cell Technology.
Will this be a lesson to the population... not yet it seems....?

All the while those who feel strongly and pay the price to access the
technology become the pioneers
to use, benefit from and likely commercialize the technology.

This might mark the single greatest event in the natural selection the
human species
has experienced since cro-magnons and such were eliminated from the gene
pool.

I wonder if any opinion polling has been done that might indicate
under what conditions the general population might break from the
mould and commit civil disobedience to better individual each
person's individual circumstance?