[extropy-chat] Extropic Freedom and the Fate of Dissidents

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Nov 1 02:26:20 UTC 2005

Natasha asked:

>Mike's list cannot be an Exi-Freedom because that would be an
>infringement on ExI's name.  Can you verify?

and Russell Wallace replied:

>It isn't, it's extro-freedom.

The list *was* called exi-freedom, and was renamed to extro-freedom
two years ago. At which occasion, Mike posted to that group:

>Hey all, this change became necessary due to a polite request by Max
>More that we not use the term "ExI", claiming a trademarked right to
>that term. The new name for the group is "extro-freedom", which is
>not much of a change, but enough to avoid any legal issues.

I certainly welcome peaceable relations and courtesy within our
community but neither Max nor Extropy Institute had or have any
legally enforceable rights to "ExI".

The reasons are many, but you can sanity-check this with a simple
trademark search --

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=login&p_lang=english&p_d=trmk

Greg doesn't specialize in IP law, but he probably knows enough
anyway to opine. *My* read is that the only way you could stop
someone from using ExI in the name of a mailing list would be to make
yourself a $cientology-grade pest until they or their list host gave
in to make you go away.

-- David.