[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 21:16:15 UTC 2005

--- Brian Atkins <brian at posthuman.com> wrote:

> Jeff Davis wrote:
> >
> > Our culture does NOT make a focused effort to
> train
> > people to be economically savvy,
>
> I completely agree with that.
>
> I was thinking about it yesterday after I posted...
> was reminded of my high
> school experience, wherein I was forced as part of
> the curriculum to take some
> vocational classes. The choices were things like:
> typing, computer word
> processing, "home economics", drafting, wood shop.
>
> How many kids would choose a "business 101 +
> investing" choice if they had
> offered it? Why isn't something like this a standard
> offering in schools?

Yes, exactly.  This problem could be relatively easy
to solve once recognized, seen as important, and a
commitment made to correct the situation.  The Head
Start program serves as an excellent example.  It
sought to break that crucial family/microculture role
in the continuity of poverty.

A bedrock goal of the K-12 education system should be
to graduate financially self-sustaining individuals,
who have both short- and long-term economic savvy, and
who are prepared to, without overmuch anxiety, revise
their economic practices when "the winds of changes
shift".

Also, a similar program could be imbedded in the penal
system.  Wire up the prisons and then make it that no
convict gets out till they have a running business
that meets their financial needs.  Nothing like going
to sleep at night knowing everything is under control
and the cops aren't after your ass, to take a bite out
of crime.

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles