[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Wed Nov 2 05:10:55 UTC 2005

Brian wrote:
>> I was reminded of my high school experience, wherein I was forced
>> as part of the curriculum to take some vocational classes. The
>> choices were things like: typing, computer word processing, "home
>> economics", drafting, wood shop.
>>
>> How many kids would choose a "business 101 + investing" choice if
>> they had offered it? Why isn't something like this a standard
>> offering in schools?

Robin responded:
> This is an excellent, and I think deep question.  Well worth
> pondering at length.  Why indeed.  Not only are there no courses to
> teach you how to invest in or run a business, they also teach little
> about how to be a savvy consumer.

Less true now than when we went to school, Robin.  I'm in Virginia
(visiting Robin's group at GMU, actually) and staying with my sister.
Her husband teaches high school business and economics.  Over dinner, he
was telling us about the classes he has in which they are running mock
businesses.  They're learning about business plans, opportunity costs,
managing employees, budgeting, and a lot more.  I went to high school
about 20 miles from here, and there wasn't anything like it at the time.

He also used to run a computer consulting business, and so he teaches
their computer courses as well.  As far as I can tell, that doesn't get
beyond the basics of using office applications and building web sites,
but that's a good start.

They're teaching some of the stuff we think matters to some of the kids.
  It's hard to tell how many of them are taking it seriously, but I
think the fact that some of the kids are getting it means that the
terminology and the ideas are seeping into their culture.

Chris
--
C. J. Cherryh, "Invader", on why we visit very old buildings:
       "A sense of age, of profound truths.  Respect for something

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org