[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Nov 2 09:31:04 UTC 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 11:48 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 03:15:17PM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>

>> Exception prove that the "rule" is bogus nonsense like most over-
>> generalizations.   It is true I am more often called "Principle
>> Architect" or "Computer Scientist" lately but I still design and
>> implement systems.  I have been doing so for 26 years.  I am now
>> 51.   Some people might call that "old".   After they pick themselves
>> up from the ground we get on with business.  :-)
>>

> Yes, you're an exception, not the rule. Very few people can stay
> at the technical cutting edge that long. Current IT is novelty-driven,
> and has crazy working hours. Buzzword compliance and ability
> to pull overtime drive out the old. It's a blue-collar occupation.

I thought I was cynical.  :-)

Somehow I have managed to find myself in a lot of places that had
other people as old as I doing a lot of the most critical work.   So
much of the new buzz is little more than old ideas wearing a new ill
fitting party dress.   Undressed it turns out all too often to be all
too familiar.  That is depressing.    A few actually new things come
along now and then and can benefit from good design and
implementation.  All the overtime in the world will not keep a
fundamentally flawed idea or execution of the idea running.  Those
who can see how it will play out early and avoid dead ends have
value.  But Cassandras don't win many popularity contests.    I seem
to have a nose for good design.   I can't always explain how I do
what I do.

I am quite discouraged with the state of the industry.  In the
beginning I saw so many bright things that could be done along with
many key questions that would need answers.  So much is still not
seen by the software industry much less resolved.  We stay busy
polishing turds (CRUD?) with the latest over-hyped and relatively
valueless polish and techniques.     I occasionally push past
commercial state-of-the-art out of boredom and frustration.   After
my first rejuve I think I will  get a PhD and hang out in academia.
That might fit me better.

- samantha