[extropy-chat] Futures Politics

Matus matus at matus1976.com
Fri Nov 4 05:04:20 UTC 2005

Ah another one of my favorite statistics.  Really Samantha, does the US
imprison a higher percentage of it's population than Vietnam?  Burma?
Cuba?  Saudi Arabia?  And where exactly do these statistics come from,
their respective ministries of honorable and reliable information?

Do we ever get to see official sources for these statistics?

I think such a statement should at least be qualified as 'The US
imprisons a higher percentage of it's population than any other
westernized liberal democracy' or something to that effect, but to say
it imprisons more than any country in the world is clearly disingenuous
and egregious in the face of the millions of people who rot in the hell
holes and gulags of the murderous dictatorships of the world.

Additionally it should be noted that we also have a subculture that
glorifies violence as a means to acquire value.  England has a similar
problem with it's 'yobs', and this, in addition to the ridiculous
criminalization of drug use, contributes to our prison populations.

Matus