[extropy-chat] Weinberg on multiverse

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sat Nov 5 07:18:30 UTC 2005

Steven Weinberg about the 'Multiverse'
in a long paper here:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0511037
"It must be acknowledged that there is a big di
erence in the degree of confidence we can have
in neo-Darwinism and in the multiverse. It is
settled, as well as anything in science is ever settled,
that the adaptations of living things on earth
have come into being through natural selection
acting on random undirected inheritable variations.
About the multiverse, it is appropriate to keep
an open mind, and opinions among scientists differ
widely. In the Austin airport on the way to this meeting
I noticed for sale the October issue of a magazine called
'Astronomy', having on the cover the headline "Why You Live
in Multiple Universes." Inside I found a report of
a discussion at a conference at Stanford, at which Martin
Rees said that he was sufficiently confident about
the multiverse to bet his dog's life on it,
while Andrei Linde said he would bet his own life.
As for me, I have just enough confidence about the multiverse
to bet the lives of both Andrei Linde and Martin Rees's dog."