[extropy-chat] Re: riots in france

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Mon Nov 7 01:30:33 UTC 2005

Dirk said:
>Obviously.
>If they weren't particularly integrated you wouldn't know them.
>Let me guess - those Moslems were well educated middle class professionals?

> It is evidence of a religiously (self) defined self ghettoising and
generally racially distinct underclass that may well be a permanent feature
of the European landscape.
Dirk

A 'self ghettoising and generally racially distinct underclass' - this
appears to put the onus squarely onto these people I think.

Isn't it just an exercise in shifting blame?

Any 'middle-class professional' of any race or creed must find it a lot
easier to integrate and achieve acceptance in a new country. Perhaps we
should condemn the poor for their effrontery in not being middle-class and
having a decent degree?

Generalizations about Moslems are worthless. PEOPLE (of any race or creed)
live in ghettos in any part of the world where they feel the need to support
each other against  a hostile environment. If the environment is not
ostile  - the ghettoes disappear. There are no Moslem ghettoes in Australia,
or China for that matter - and NOT coincidentally there is a general
acceptance and tolerance between Moslem/Christian/Buddhists in these places.

If that peace should suddenly shatter because a few fundamentalists start
start lobbing explosives, we might start to see a similar situation to the
one developing in Europe and the US...
Jack Parkinson