[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Nov 7 03:21:55 UTC 2005

On Nov 6, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> It took Firefox to tell you that? Dirty hippie software well
> predates Microsoft.

Dirty hippie software is pretty much where it all began.  Including
Microsoft.  Starting even in the middle of the 60s and certainly in
the 70s and early 80s.   The suits didn't real show up that massively
until the mid 80s.

I was around when two of the long-haired techno-hippies unveiled a
funny prototype built in a case that was a wooden box.  There names
were both Steve.   Almost all the early hackers, some of which
founded companies that became household names, were hippies in dress,
choice of recreational drugs, social style and so on.    I guess some
of us qualified as "dirty".

- samantha