[extropy-chat] Re: riots in france

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Mon Nov 7 17:41:35 UTC 2005

Damien Broderick wrote:

>Yeah, and all those immigrant un[der]employed Muslims should just
>knuckle down and save up their spare francs and stop their whining
>and build a starship like the rest of us do.
>
>Or not.

My point was that there were (1) new places to go to, (2) where
people who find their current circumstances intolerable could go, not
whether (3) these particular people can afford to go.

Check out Freeman Dyson's cost analysis in "Pilgrims, Saints and
Spacemen," _Disturbing the Universe_, pp 118-26 (1979). His reasoning
seems sound, and comparably rigorous to Thomas Sowell's treatment of
similar questions.

The Mayflower expedition -- which is, after all, what Jack referred
to -- cost 7.5 man-years of wages per family. The colonists borrowed
the funds from investors who stayed home. It took them 22 years to
pay off this debt.

Dyson believe(d | s)  that it is essential to have a frontier as a
social safety valve and that we had to get launch costs down to a
comparable price before colonizing the asteroids was plausible.

Both make sense to me, and I think we could have done this decades
ago. I wonder which groups would set out, were it an option today. Of
course, when they got there, they'd find a Chabad center on the next rock.....

-- David.