[extropy-chat] The Proactionary Principle: comments encouraged on almost-final version

Max More max at maxmore.com
Tue Nov 8 15:44:49 UTC 2005

As many of you know, I've been working on the Proactionary Principle
(ProP for short) as a replacement for the widely-used precautionary
principle. The ProP is now the center of the book I'm halfway through
writing. I would very much appreciate your feedback on the current
version, so that I can make any final tweaks before committing it to
publication more widely.

The previous version (with seven sub-principles) is here:
http://www.extropy.org/proactionaryprinciple.htm

The current version is as follows:

THE PROACTIONARY PRINCIPLE

Freedom to innovate technologically is highly valuable, even
critical, to humanity. This implies a range of responsibilities for
those considering whether and how to develop, deploy, or restrict new
technologies. Assess risks and opportunities using an objective,
open, and comprehensive, yet simple decision process based on science
rather than collective emotional reactions. Account for the costs of
restrictions and lost opportunities as fully as direct effects. Favor
measures that are proportionate to the probability and magnitude of
impacts, and that have the highest payoff relative to their costs.
Give a high priority to people's freedom to learn, innovate, and advance.

We can call this "the" Proactionary Principle so long as we realize
that the underlying Principle is less like a sound bite than a set of
nested Chinese boxes or Russian matroshka (babushka) dolls. If we pry
open the lid of this introductory-level version of the Principle, we
will discover ten component principles lying within:

1.      Guard the Freedom to Innovate: Our freedom to innovate
technologically is valuable to humanity. The burden of proof
therefore belongs to those who propose restrictive measures. All
proposed measures should be closely scrutinized.

2.      Use Objective Methods: Use a decision process that is
objective, structured, and explicit. Evaluate risks and generate
forecasts according to available science, not emotionally shaped
perceptions; use explicit forecasting processes; fully disclose the
forecasting procedure; ensure that the information and decision
procedures are objective; rigorously structure the inputs to the
forecasting procedure; reduce biases by selecting disinterested
experts, by using the devil's advocate procedure with judgmental
methods, and by using auditing procedures such as review panels.

3.      Be Comprehensive: Consider all reasonable alternative
actions, including no action. Estimate the opportunities lost by
abandoning a technology, and take into account the costs and risks of
substituting other credible options. When making these estimates, use
systems thinking to carefully consider not only concentrated and
immediate effects, but also widely distributed and follow-on effects,
as well as the interaction of the factor under consideration with
other factors.

4.      Be Open: Take into account the interests of all potentially
affected parties, and keep the process open to input from those parties.

5.      Simplify: Use methods that are no more complex than necessary

6.      Prioritize and Triage: When choosing among measures to
ameliorate unwanted side effects, prioritize decision criteria as
follows: (a) Give priority to risks to human and other intelligent
life over risks to other species; (b) give non-lethal threats to
human health priority over threats limited to the environment (within
reasonable limits); (c) give priority to immediate threats over
distant threats; (d) give priority to ameliorating known and proven
threats to human health and environmental quality over hypothetical
risks; (e) prefer the measure with the highest expectation value by
giving priority to more certain over less certain threats, and to
irreversible or persistent impacts over transient impacts.

7.      Apply Measures Proportionally: Consider restrictive measures
only if the potential impact of an activity has both significant
probability and severity. In such cases, if the activity also
generates benefits, discount the impacts according to the feasibility
of adapting to the adverse effects. If measures to limit
technological advance do appear justified, ensure that the extent of
those measures is proportionate to the extent of the probable effects.

8.      Respect Tradeoffs: Recognize and respect the diversity of
values among people, as well as the different weights they place on
shared values. Whenever feasible, enable people to make tradeoffs.

9.      Treat Symmetrically: Treat technological risks on the same
basis as natural risks; avoid underweighting natural risks and
overweighting human-technological risks. Fully account for the
benefits of technological advances.

10.     Renew (Revisit) and Refresh: Create a trigger to prompt
decision makers to revisit the decision, far enough in the future
that conditions may have changed significantly.

Thank you,

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
max at maxmore.com or max at extropy.org