[extropy-chat] Re: riots in France

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Nov 10 03:43:31 UTC 2005

At 11:21 AM 11/10/2005 +0800, Jack Parkinson wrote:

>Spoilt rich kids always praise their own benevolence when they hand out
>their loose change. The hot news is: No one is ever delighted at earning 7
>cents an hour. They want a house with a manicured lawn, a membership of
>the golf club and an SUV. When they see someone like you buying and
>enjoying these little luxuries with the money they have earned you - they
>start thinking about torching cars and burning shops...

Jack, the odd thing is that probably every Aussie on this list shares your
basic perspective, while it remains bizarre and wrong-headed to most of the
US extropes. Hard to say why that is; we are not *utterly* slaves of our
nations' economics dogmas.

On the other hand, you're overstating your case just a tad. Rioters in
France aren't living on 7 cents an hour, and I doubt many of them are
earning the bourgeoisie their SUVs--it's exactly because there's no obvious
route to decent work that they go crazy with rage. Their parents,
generally, were imported as a dirt cheap labor pool--as many Europeans were
to Oz in the 50s--and technological/ educational shifts, plus pervasive and
fearful disdain from the haves, leave their kids with few prospects, even
as they watch endless TV shows, movies and games that goad them with
visions of wealth, ease, fun, and mayhem. My wife Barbara tells me DeSoto
and Thomas Sowell have much to say on the cultural backgrounds to these
topics, but the problems seem to me almost intractable by now. Maybe
dead-cheap molecular manufacture will end such strife, but I stand by my
gloomy prediction in THE SPIKE a decade or so back that what we'll see is a
planet of Color Gang Wars and the like among those for whom life retains no
discipline or meaning outside of arbitrary local status and violence.

Damien Broderick