[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour?

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Sun Nov 13 03:32:29 UTC 2005

> From: Alfio Puglisi <alfio.puglisi at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour?
> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>
> On 11/12/05, Joseph Bloch <transhumanist at goldenfuture.net> wrote:
>> I've always wondered about those statistics, which say that people in
>> under-developed countries make $x an hour. Do those figures take into
>> account the buying power of a dollar in that country?
>
> They don't. And, as you say, taking into account purchasing power
> makes those figures more reasonable.
>
> Alfio

Poverty can never be called reasonable. By definition it is less than the
level required for basic neccessities. The basis for the statistics is
well-established this snip from:
http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTPOVERTY/EXTPA/0,,contentMDK:20153855~menuPK:435040~pagePK:148956~piPK:216618~theSitePK:430367,00.html

Measuring poverty at the country level
A common method used to measure poverty is based on incomes or consumption
levels. A person is considered poor if his or her consumption or income
level falls below some minimum level necessary to meet basic needs. This
minimum level is usually called the "poverty line". What is necessary to
satisfy basic needs varies across time and societies. Therefore, poverty
lines vary in time and place, and each country uses lines which are
appropriate to its level of development, societal norms and values.

Information on consumption and income is obtained through sample surveys,
with which households are asked to answer detailed questions on their
spending habits and sources of income. Such surveys are conducted more or
less regularly in most countries. These sample survey data collection
methods are increasingly being complemented by participatory methods, where
people are asked what their basic needs are and what poverty means for them.
Interestingly, new research shows a high degree of concordance between
poverty lines based on objective and subjective assessments of needs.

For details on methodology, see the Measuring Poverty topic in the Poverty
Analysis site. For data see Data and Data Sources.

Measuring poverty at the global level
When estimating poverty worldwide, the same reference poverty line has to be
used, and expressed in a common unit across countries. Therefore, for the
purpose of global aggregation and comparison, the World Bank uses reference
lines set at $1 and $2 per day (more precisely $1.08 and $2.15 in 1993
Purchasing Power Parity terms). It has been estimated that in 2001, 1.1
billion people had consumption levels below $1 a day and 2.7 billion lived
on less than $2 a day. These figures are lower than earlier estimates,
indicating that some progress has taken place, but they still remain too
high in terms of human suffering, and much more remains to be done.

The Global Poverty Monitoring Database, by Chen and Ravallion at the World
Bank contains global and regional poverty estimates for the years 1981,
1984, 1987, 1990, 1993, 1996, 1999 and 2001 as well as data on the share of
people living below the national poverty line by country for the years when
household surveys are available. The methodology used for the Global Poverty
Monitoring Database is explained by Ravallion and Chen in "How did the
world's poorest fare in the 1990s?" (2000) . For new estimates, see their
paper "How Have the World's Poorest Fared Since the Early 1980s? "
(2004)(232Kb PDF).

Recent years have witnessed a lively debate on global poverty measurement.
For more information go to The Global Poverty Numbers Debate.

Jack Parkinson