[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) French claim Paris riots more cultured than American riots

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 13 06:03:12 UTC 2005

Barry Williams wrote:

>A very perceptive piece about recent events.

Giving Barry the benefit of the doubt here and assuming he meant that
ironically. I'm pretty sure this is a satire site.

>><http://www.chaser.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2859&Itemid=26>www.chaser.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2859&Itemid=26

Ze rioters, zey are swept up in ze overwhelming existential ennui of
a cold, uncaring universe zat crushes ze soul, non?

>French authorities have been reluctant to send in troops to quell
>the protests, insisting that a military presence will only be
>legitimate with UN backing. Bringing the riots under control has
>been dismissed as "Anglo-Saxon policing" by members of the
>Government. "We do not want to relinquish our proud French
>traditions just because they cause mass civil unrest," said Social
>Affairs Minister Jean-Louis Borloo. "We will not trade in racism,
>mass unemployment and arrogant timidity in policing for a
>"McCulture" of law and order."

Looks like there's no alternative, they're just gonna have to resort
to a proud French tradition: surrender.

Dave Palmer

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program