[extropy-chat] re: even if Arab poverty were terminated

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 22:47:54 UTC 2005

On 11/13/05, Dirk Bruere wrote:
>  Plus, it's taken us some 300yrs to pull the teeth of Xianity to the point
> where one can dissent openly and not be burned.
>  The job hasn't even begun with Islam.

I doubt that the teeth of Xianity have been pulled yet. At least not
in every country. They may not be able to burn dissenters, but they
can get you sacked and your career ruined if you cross the hierarchy.
In USA and Ireland until recently priests were permitted to abuse
children with little done to stop them.

The latest Irish scandal reports:
"Before 1990, the panel found, the police were reluctant to
investigate claims of sexual abuse by the clergy because they were
fearful of challenging the privileged position of Roman Catholic
Church authorities."

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/13/international/europe/13ireland.html?pagewanted=1>

BillK