[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Mon Nov 14 02:15:08 UTC 2005

Spike wrote:

>If we call out Walmart, we must include other places that are
>lousy places to work.  How about Fry's Electronics?  The idea
>was a good one: run an electronics store like you would a
>grocery store, plenty of cash registers to reduce the checkout
>time (our local Fry's has 60 going simultaneously, 60!), the
>lowest cost employees that can manage to show up to work, enormous
>volume sales, etc.  So Fry's and Walmart.  But wait, what about
>Target?  Salvation Army?  McDonalds?

And while you're at it, take out most bookstores and libraries. They
typically pay less than other employers do, because they know most of
their employees are willing to work for less in order to spend their
workday surrounded by books.

I'd expect the same at other retailers whose goods resonate with
their staff, e.g., music, musical instrument, gun, hobbyist, craft,
comics, coin, and woodworking stores.

-- David.