Driving was Re: [extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 17:44:34 UTC 2005

On 11/14/05, Alfio Puglisi wrote:
> On 11/14/05, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And of course in Euroland that means 2 hours total travel time and 25
> > to 30 USD fuel cost that must be added to the 'bargains' that you buy.
>
> Not really 25 USD. If you drive say 40km for the nearest city that's 2
> or 3 litres of gas each way, so 6 euros (7 USD) total.

My assumption was that if you were driving for an hour each way it
would be more than 25 miles (40km), probably nearer 60 miles (100Km)
each way in a mix of city traffic and motorway.
The average medium size cars in the UK only get about 35 miles per
gallon (12.3 k/ltr), big cars, 4WDs and SUVs nearer 20 mpg. (UK
gallons) or 7k/ltr. Small, economy cars do approach 50 mpg (17.6
k/ltr), but most families drive medium-size cars.

So, say 120 miles = 192 km = 18.28 ltrs = 14.50 GBP = 25.16 USD.

But I agree fuel cost could range from 8 USD to 44.25 USD, depending
on distance and fuel conomy.  YMMV  :)

BillK