[extropy-chat] Re: riots in France

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 15 10:55:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 01:27:54PM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> With material plenty do you think this is likely?  But wait, I
> thoroughly believe in the right to obtain and bear arms.  So we may
> disagree or which kinds of things are a problem. A nano-factory
> cannot produce anything it doesn't have a blueprint for.   That is

I can readily provide you a blueprint for a desktop isotope enrichment
plant. Right to bear arms, sure. Nuclear arms, though? Ecovorous
self-replicators? You can't brush off those a la toner wars.

> one level of control.  Nanofactories could come with certain built-in
> restrictions giving another level of control.   The problems could

Yeah, DRM from hell.

> also be addressed by something like the broadcast model proposed by
> Ralph Merkle (http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/selfRepJBIS.html).

Broadcast isn't a safety precaution. Broadcast is incompatible with
locally asynchronous operations anyway.

> Generally speaking I am more interested in empowering people and in
> fighting abuses they actually do commit  than in keeping them
> harmless by decreasing their abilities and access.

We'll see the same proliferation issues as with nuclear power
today, only worse.