[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Nov 15 17:00:21 UTC 2005

Jack Parkinson <isthatyoujack at icqmail.com>

> John still has not said why it is he believes that a
> Wal-Mart market monopoly

It must come as quite a shock to Target, Home Depot, Best Buys, Lows,
Circuit City, Macy's, Radio Shack and many others in the retail sector to
find out that Wal-Mart is a monopoly and therefore despite appearances they
so not exist.
And I must say that the Extropian List is the last place I'd expect to find
a pack of Neo Luddites.

> is in in any sense more 'free market' or 'efficient'
> than several thousand smaller stores

This statement more than any other proves that you have no idea want "Free
Market" means. Wal-Mart is more Free Market than ten thousand mom and pop
stores because it competed with them in the Free Market and mom and pop
lost; perhaps consumers did like the home town values or whatever other
bullshit virtues they were supposed to radiate, but they did not like them
enough to make up for mom and pop's price gouging.

> corporate activity should be judged by benefits
> accruing to EVERY sector of society

I pretty much agree, the only slight disagreement we have is who should
judge a subjective and controversial thing like "benefit". I think it should
be judged by workers who vote with their feet and consumers who vote with
their dollars. You think it should be judged by Jack Parkinson.

> I submit that Wal-Mart does not effectively serve every
> sector, in fact it primarikly seves a miniscule portion
> of it - the Waltons.

Fine, if that's the way you feel then don't work at Wal-Mart and don't shop
at Wal-Mart, but what I object to is that you want in effect to force people
like me who profoundly disagree with your premise to act the same way you do
by shutting down Wal-Mart. You shop where you like, just let me do the same.

  John K Clark