[extropy-chat] Re:Just trying to figure it out

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 15 18:07:54 UTC 2005

--- Anna Tylor <femmechakra at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I thank you for your advice,  but I didn't write that formal
> language.  I
> >just copied and pasted:)

You said it was your first publication.  It is not your publication if
you did not play any part in writing it.  Copying & pasting someone
else's words does not make it "your" publication.

I'm willing to believe that you made this mistake innocently (as in,
you're new to this and didn't know any better), but watch out in the
future.  C&Ping someone else's work and claiming it is yours - as you
did by saying it was your publication - is stealing and plagarism, and
many people (especially among those you'd want to read something like
this) have very little tolerance for that.

Also, it wasn't very formal language, no matter what the source.  That
was the original problem I was pointing out.  You might also want to
watch out for what you do pass around: that publication was so
ill-formed that some other members of this list were, in private
emails, saying I should not respond to a "kook" - as in, someone
passing off ideas that can never in fact be reduced to practice, and
whose noise does not help anyone make actual progress.  I suspect your
problem may be more one of inexperience, though: as you gain experience
with this sort of thing, you'll recognize when you're faced with these
sorts of ideas, and learn why so many people correctly believe that to
spend much time on them is a waste of time - and, perhaps, learn how to
convert some of them into ideas that could result in actually
accomplishing something, which others would be more willing to help
with.

So...you have made a total of three mistakes here, at least one of
which (plagarism) many people would never forgive you for.  You are
given this chance to learn, so that you never again repeat those
mistakes.

> >But in regards to formal language you will have to debate with
> the
> >people I copied and
> >pasted from..unfortunately you'll have to explain why they aren't
> >communicating properly:)

I already explained that.  Copy and paste my explanation to them (but
don't claim it's yours!) if you want.