[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 03:30:16 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of M.B. Baumeister

> ...I, for one, am doing more shopping locally and on-line...
> Regards, MB

On-line shopping is something that was mostly left out
of this whole discussion.  Most US states have a sales
tax.  On-line companies can set up in one of those states
that have no tax.  Many manufactured goodies are made in
such quantities that the profit margin is down to about
10% before tax.  The state of Taxifornia demands 8%, so
if the bricks and mortar places match the internet
price, it is like the state government saying to them:
go ahead and do business, but hand over 80% of the
actual profit.

We have not discussed how on-line retailers treat their
workers or how much they pay, but I suspect in many
cases Walmart is a good option for those employees.