[extropy-chat] a real pleasure to work for

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Fri Nov 18 08:33:35 UTC 2005

>We might get people talking about crummy jobs they had
>when they were younger.  Mine was beekeeping.

Hmm. I babysat, then cleaned apartments and boats until I turned 16.
 From age 16 to 18 I flipped burgers at Carl's Jr. (I was a strict
vegetarian then). I started college at age 17. From age 18 to 20, I
worked in a scientific bookstore, first in town and then at my
university. Those were also the years I was a teacher's assistant for
the observational astronomy courses at Saddleback Community College.
At age 20 I volunteered my time at Palomar Observatory to help a woman
look for asteroids, and worked days during the week soldering capacitors
at a fusion research lab at UC Irvine. At age 21 I started working at the
Jet Propulsion Laboratory on the Voyager mission project.

(five years to go from hamburgers to space missions)
--

Amara Graps, PhD
Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI)
Roma, ITALIA     Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it