[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Fri Nov 18 17:06:17 UTC 2005

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>

> Jef Allbright wrote:
>>
>> Evolution does not say that today's organisms are necessarily more
>> efficient than those that went extinct.
>> I won't launch an (attempted) explanation at this time, since there's
>> already enough going on.

> I don't have enough time either, but "me too" to this point of
> evolutionary biology.

Gee Eliezer it's a real pity you don't have time to elaborate further
because you ideas would revolutionize biology. Unless that is you're just
talking about genetic drift or the occasional unlucky accident of an
asteroid landing on your head. These things are random and are as likely to
benefit the underdog as the overdog, so despite this element of randomness
the general direction of Evolution is clear and points in the direction of
the winners.  Like elephants over mastodons and Wal-Mart over mom and pop,
at least in this environment.

John K Clark