[extropy-chat] Help! I'm not ready for reality! (was the 7 cents thread)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Nov 20 12:27:47 UTC 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 2:42 AM, Jack Parkinson wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: Samantha Atkins

It takes many quite admirable qualities to "arrive at the pinnacle of
success".  Darwin has very little to do with it and in context you
display prejudice to interject Darwin here.   Bigness per se also has
little to do with success.

> Extrapolated to the extropian point of view - this means in my
> opinion that there is still plenty of scope for everything to go
> terribly wrong. If big business can be immoral, self-serving and
> parasitic - and presidents can be dumb and parochial - who knows
> what might happen?

Business cannot be truly amoral without going out of business unless
propped up by government, i.e., by physical force.   I do not agree
that business, big or otherwise, is generally parasitic.  Business is
by definition  "self-serving" but if done rationally that is not only
not a breach of morality in my thinking, it is essential to morality.

> The question: Who will control the technology - and how will they
> do it? May well be the ultimate deciding factor between a bright
> enhanced future and interminable conflict or worse. I for one would
> not like a mega-corporation to exercise this kind of control.

I doubt very much that any centralized group will or can "control the
technology".  I don't consider the question particularly relevant.

> 2) There is too much facile acceptance of silly buzz-word ideas
> like: "Efficiency is keeping prices low,"

Do you deny that the price is directly correlated with efficiency of
production and distribution?

> "Darwin asserts that the survivor is the best equipped to carry the
> torch,"

Darwin asserted no such thing when applied to general business.

> What's good for the economy is good for the country,"

This is true but most people are very confused about what is actually
good ofr the economy or as to what they mean by "economy".

> "All competition is healthy" etc.

All competition under rules that outlaw the initiation of force is
generally healthy in economic and many other activities.

> There is no credit to be had for taking a 10 second sound-bite to
> be all inclusive wisdom.

There is no credit in denigrating others with a straw man argument.

> Catch-phrases are for air-heads and couch potatoes - serious people
> should be prepared to look at the in-depth argument or admit that
> Homer Simpson does it way better than they do.

OK.  I agree with Rafal and others here.  What you are doing is not
reasoned argument.  Later.

- samantha