[extropy-chat] Jack's right, he's not ready for reality

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Nov 21 06:47:54 UTC 2005

"Rik van Riel" <riel at surriel.com>

> If you seriously think people should work for
> less than their own cost of living

What on Earth does their cost of living have to do with anything? A person
will hire you over somebody else if he thinks you will make him more money
than somebody else, and that's it. You can complain and  moralize and wail
and pontificate about it from now to doomsday, you can scream to the heavens
at the injustice of it all, you can beat your bloody fists at the cruel face
of logic, but in the end nothing will change, not to the slightest degree.

If you make less than $5.14 an hour for your employer he will never ever
EVER pay you more than that regardless of what a so called minimum wage law
decrees. For some screwy reason people have gotten the ridiculous idea that
the minimum wage is $5.14 an hour, the true minimum wage is of course ZERO,
and you could no more repeal that law of economics than you could repeal the
law of gravity.

However I do admit that it would be possible to double the true minimum
wage, and I have absolutely no objection of you doing so.

> put your money  where your mouth is and live on a salary below minimum
> wage yourself.

No. I make quite a bit more than $5.14 an hour for my employer so he doesn't
mind (well.... not too much anyway) paying me just a teeny tinny bit more
than that.

  John K Clark