[extropy-chat] against ID

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 15:19:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:48:36 -0500, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 09:27:04AM -0500, gts wrote:
>
>> Unlike its predecessor Creation Science, ID theory does have at least
>> have the patina of real science. It seems to me that ID is a real
>> threat to
>
> Excuse me?! There's no mistaking cargo cult for the real thing.

True for you and me, but not true in Kansas where ID has already scored a
victory, and evidently not true in the Whitehouse, where Bush has spoken
in favor of teaching it.

Creation Science was easy to debunk, but unlike Creation Science, ID
cannot be attacked as derived directly from biblical revelation. Its
proponents are deliberately silent about the identity and nature of the
supposed Designer.

The debunking of ID requires a little insight into the philosophy of
science and a proper understanding of the scientific method, both of which
seem to be sorely lacking in this country (present company excluded).

The political climate is also ripe for the teaching of ID, "For example,
as CBS poll this month found that 51 percent of respondents believed
humans were created in their present form by God."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051028/sc_nm/science_usa_dc

Science educators are right to be concerned!

-gts