TOP 2 IQ Percentile Re: [extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour?

Jacob Bennett xander25 at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 21 15:22:04 UTC 2005

Brett Paatsch wrote:

> Damien Broderick wrote:
>

>> It's hard for us self-starter INTJs to grasp that hapless dynamic,
>> but then we're less than 5% of the population, and most of us here
>> are a slimmer slice through that group as well, being at least in the
>> top 2 IQ percentiles.
>

> I wish it were so but I reckon this flatters or genuinely overrates
> "most of us here" by about a standard deviation.
> I'd estimate the mid-point of the curve as closer to one standard
> deviation above the mean than two.
>
> Brett Paatsch

Personally, I question the validity of these tests.  I am rated an INFP
by all the tests I've taken.  When I was leaving the Air Force I took
these tests in association with a transition program designed to help
Airman find careers once they leave.  It was recommended for INFP's find
a career working with people: counselor, etc...  That's where it said I
would be the happiest.  Personally, I take far greater joy in computer
programming and technical applications (typically a INTJ(P) field), than
help people sort through their problems on a daily basis.  The same goes
for IQ tests.  It seems generally true that an educated person would
fare far better on one than an uneducated person.  Only one person can
decide what to do with their life...that individual.  Let the individual
decide what he/she may want to do with their life.  Don't take me
wrong...I find the questions asked by both to be a valuable
introspective tool...but the focus should be on the questions
asked...and not necessarily the results.

--Jacob Bennett