[extropy-chat] qualia

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 01:18:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:58:46 -0500, Brent Allsop <allsop at extropy.org>
wrote:

> I think qualia or phenomenal properties of nature which I think the brain
> uses to represent conscious information will be discovered some time
> during the next 10 years.  This will eventually lead to what will be
> called
> "effing" or communication of such qualities between minds.  (as in oh
> THAT'S what salt tastes like.)  I predict this will turn out to be by
> far the most significant scientific discovery to date.

That's an interesting point of view, Brent. How do you suppose this will
happen?

Recently I read Chalmer's book on the subject of consciousness, (The
Conscious Mind: In Search of a Fundamental Theory,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195117891/103-0973791-2204613?v=glance&n=283155).

I was left with the impression that the 'hard problem of consciousness'
will be probably one of the last important questions of science. Solving
it in 10 years would be quite an accomplishment.

I like the argument about Mary, the hypothetical neuroscientist who knows
everything that can possibly be known about neuroscience and the
perception color, but who lives in a black and white world. Does she
really know "what it is like" to see the color red? i.e., does she know
about qualia?  The answer seems to be no. How can empirical science ever
grasp qualia?

-gts