[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Wed Nov 23 05:12:10 UTC 2005

Jef,

<<<< Brent, have you considered turning the
question around--and assuming a universe that has
no "phenomenal properties"--what it might be like
for organisms that evolved the capability to
model their surroundings as many primitive
organisms do, and then took the next step and
began to include themselves in the model for the
additional fitness this enhanced model provided? >>>>

Absolutely.  I think it is very possible to
abstractly simulate or model most everything in
the universe with purely abstract – causal only –
systems.  The only problem is – when this
universe advances to the stage where we are – and
start figuring out how the brain works things
will diverge.  Unless we do an obscene amount of
unnecessary abstract complexity trying to model
behavior as if they did experience what
phenomenal properties are like.  These simulated
non phenomenal zombies – will not be very
concerned with what red is like – because it will
not be like anything and will only be represented
by some abstract causal representation.

I also think phenomenal properties are a big part
of what makes us so intelligent and motivated.  I
bet it is much more difficult (though not
impossible) to represent so much information and
motivation with purely abstract and causal only computational systems.

Brent