[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Nov 24 07:13:36 UTC 2005

At 01:43 AM 11/24/2005 -0500, John K Clark wrote:

>"Brent Allsop" <allsop at extropy.org>
>
>>Phenomenal properties are most definitely causal.
>
>Then the Turing Test should work.
>
>>It's just that the causal part, is the only part that traditional
>>cause and effect observation can detect.
>
>Ok let's talk about the non causal part, the part that you think is so
>important. I'm going to repeat what I said before because you didn't respond
>to it and I think it's an absolutely devastating criticism: If Natural
>Selection can't see it how can Natural Selection select for it?

I have no reason to suppose that phenomenological aspects of reality--the
experience of self and world, however compromised, mediated and
partial--are acausal or intrinsically mysterious. But the best science
assures us that at the deepest levels of reality, quantum events are simply
stochastic: they don't just look random, they *are* random, one by one
(something John has noted in other posts). Everything built from them is
thus riddled with acausality, so natural selection has no option but to
include this feature of the world. If somehow acausality then re-emerges at
the macro level, and is useful for survival, as I think Penrose would
assert, then evolution will conserve the genomes that happen to concentrate
and utilize this trick. That's my guess, anyway. Of course, maybe (even
probably) there is no such high-level acausality, or maybe if there is it
has nothing to do with human experience. But the idea doesn't seem to me
ridiculous on its face.

Damien Broderick