[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 12:22:50 UTC 2005

On 24/11/05, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:13:30 -0500, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>
> > Recognizing a specific wavelength range is a really simple measurement.
> > A single molecule could do it.
>
> Yes, this is what I mean by pan-psychism. Right or wrong, it simplifies
> the problem.
>
> Consider a definition of awareness that entails only a response to the
> environment. If a molecule (or atom or particle) changes in any way in
> response to any stimulus then it is defined as "aware" of that stimulus.
>
> If this is the definition of awareness then there is nothing especially
> mysterious about human awareness.  No need for magic or dualism.

But this is exactly dualism, because you are proposing an "awareness"
that doesn't need to be there for the mechanism to work, and yet is.
And somehow, it can interact with the world (so that the one neuron
can be aware of the awareness of another), effecting change in
neurons, while not being composed of matter/energy. So somehow the
telephone works even though the plug is pulled out of the wall.

> Humans
> (and probably other higher animals) are special only because we have extra
> neurological equipment that allows us to be aware our awareness. Neurons
> looking at neurons.
>
> -gts

Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *