[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Fri Nov 25 05:11:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 13:50 -0500, gts wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:04:01 -0500, Damien Broderick
> <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I find this fucking ludicrous
>
> Perhaps you have a better explanation. How do you resolve the problem
> Brent's view presents? He believes matter in the brain has "phenomenal
> properties" and that this explains sense perception. Why/how is that
> matter different from matter outside the brain?

Maybe because it is organised differently.  A chunk of cut diamond is a
sparkly beast, a chunk of graphite isn't.  Carbon atoms are not sparkly
afaik.  Or if you don't like that one try magnetism, and
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/7943/7943notw1.html .
(I don't like either as analogies to qualia, but I don't think they are
bad in response to your question)