[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 08:43:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 03:03:54 -0500, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

>> To me insects look like little flying cameras.
>
> You need way more bits to describe an insect than a camera obscura.

Of course, but the difference between an insect and a flying camera seems
only a matter of those extra bits. The difference seems quantitative, not
qualitative.

Ignoring the difference in materials, a tiny fly-shaped camera equipped
with wings and some programming would be, I think, indistinguishable from
a real insect.

And presumably real insects experience qualia. Why do they have eyes if
not to see?

-gts