[extropy-chat] Note on "Random (effects without a cause)" comment

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 09:49:00 UTC 2005

Jeff writes:

"...claiming mutations are totally without cause contributes to public
intuition against the
plausibility of mutations leading to anything useful..."

I cannot understand the importance of your argument, Jeff, unless it's an
attempt to open the door to a teleological interpretation of evolution
theory.

Most physicists accept the conventional Copenhagen interpretation: that
quantum events are not only unpredictable, but also undetermined.  I don't
understand how an unpredictable, undetermined event can be considered
causal. Surely every caused event is determined if not also predictable.

-gts