[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 02:34:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:30:34 -0500, The Avantguardian
<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Dualism implies something ghostly and non-physical.
>
> This might be splitting hairs, but physics is riddled
> with "ghostly" phenomena... If
> bosons can be quantumly entangled and the soul is
> composed of them, then it is quite possible for a
> system of entangled bosons to maintain itself
> independently of a material substrate.

Yes, in fact phase entanglement is one argument from science for the
pan-psychism that I've suggested here. If your idea is true then your
self-label of "sophisticated dualist/mystic" is a departure from the
traditional meaning of dualism and may better be described as sort of
physical monism.

The greater debate about consciousness can be seen as one between
emergentism and pan-psychism. The pan-psychist rejects the idea that mind
is a separate, novel property that emerges by some seeming miracle out of
inert matter. He believes instead that if mind exists, it must be present
at some level in all matter.

Brent rejects emergentism, which is why I suggested pan-psychism.

-gts